What Else Can We Do In Rhodes
If you want to head further a field there are some beautiful places to visit. About an hour away is Lindos and the Acropolis, another UNESCO site that has the most stunning views. If it is beaches you are after Faliraki or Tsambika are not too far away. For more information about places to visit then do visit rhodesguide.com.
If you do decide to venture further a field make sure you are back to the ship in plenty of time as you do not want to miss the sail away!
Is Heraklion Worth Visiting
Both Chania and Heraklion have gorgeous cathedrals, picturesque old towns, numerous restaurants, and lots of places to shop. They also have lots of people, traffic, construction, and other drawbacks that come with large cities. Each is worth at least a half-day visit, but we found the heart of Crete in the small towns.
Cruise To A Crossroads Of Ancient Civilizations
On the northwest side of Crete rests the old Venetian port of Chania, the second largest city on the island. Inhabited since the Neolithic era, Chania is a modern city built over the ruins of the ancient city of Kydonia.
Stroll through the old city and see how it has been touched by the intersection of diverse civilizations throughout history, with a mixture of Greek, Venetian, and Ottoman influences on every corner: Minoan ruins, Byzantine churches, and impressive frescos. The Archaeological Museum of Chania houses an extensive collection of Minoan and Roman artifacts, and with replicas of ships dating back to the Bronze Age, the Naval Museum is a great way to explore the ages of Chania.
Discover the Byzantine collection in the restored Venetian Church of San Salvadore, or venture to the nearby national park and hike the Samaria Gorge. Local handicrafts make for great shopping or relax at a seaside restaurant and café.
Featured Chania, Crete, Greece Voyages
Don’t Miss: What Hotels Are Near Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port
What Are The Qualifications Required For Bareboat Sailing Yacht Charters In Greece
The qualifications required to charter a bareboat sailing yacht in Greece are at least for one crewmember to have a sailing certificate proving his/ her competence and a crewmember with adequate sailing experience . This certificate can be issued by sailing clubs and sailing schools. The license of the skipper can be exceptionally replaced by a self-declaration form since in several countries no certificates are compulsory. In this case, the skipper declares that he/ she has sailing experience as well as he/ she will be liable of the yacht and crew. The sailors sailing resume will facilitate our company to assess his/ her ability to sail in safety. Indeed, Sea and sun reserves the right not to allow the embarkation in case your sailing experience is not adequate and thereupon to suggest a professional skipper.
Should I Buy My Ferry Tickets In Advance Or At The Port
- Big ferries like the Blue Star rarely sell out, but the smaller, faster, catamaran-type ferries sometimes do, especially during high season. If youre traveling between June and September and are taking a smaller ship, its a good idea to purchase tickets in advance. During the spring, fall, and winter, its generally not a problem to show up at the port 30-40 minutes early and purchase tickets there. FerryHopper.coms helpful search function makes it easy to research ferry routes, schedules, and prices, whether youre buying in advance from their website or purchasing at the port.
Read Also: What’s Included On Disney Cruise
Top Food And Drink Spots Near The Chania Cruise Port
During your Crete cruise, youll discover new culinary delights that you have likely never heard of or tried before, like;sfakia pies, which are crepe-like pancakes that often come stuffed with sweet cheese. The seafood in Crete is a focal point on many restaurant menus, and in Chania, you cant go wrong sampling the fresh catches that are brought in from the harbor. Dont miss the chance to try;bougatsa, which is essentially a cheese danish rolled in cinnamon sugar. Of course, kebabs and skewered meats are a staple of the Cretan and Greek diets on the island, as well as the tangy and savory dipping sauces that often accompany the meat dishes in this part of the world. Chanias food is meant for adventurous palates and lovers of cheese, meat, and pastries.;
Do I Need License To Charter A Yacht For Private Cruise
At sea sun we offer experienced professional skippers and hostesses. We recommend the easy and affordable way for safe and pleasant tours. We have the knowledge and experience to travel safely and securely. We therefore directly interested in the good outcome of the trip and the right composition of the crew. For our organized trip, we recommend specific boats, tested on weather conditions with additional equipment and permanent skipper escort.
Don’t Miss: How Much Is The Norwegian Cruise
Heraklion Port Ferry Schedules
There are two or more daily ferries from Heraklion to Piraeus port in Athens, as well as ferries running to Athens Rafina port, the Dodecanese, and the Cyclades islands.
Note: In 2021, all ferry routes and schedules may be impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic. Please use ferryhopper to find the most recently updated information.
- Minoan Lines: Heraklion to Santorini, Milos, Ios, Paros, Mykonos, and Piraeus .
- Anek Lines: Heraklion to Sitia, Kasos, Karpathos, Chalki, Diafani, Rhodes, Anafi, and Santorini.
- Blue Star Ferries: Heraklion to Piraeus.
- Seajets: Heraklion to Santorini, Ios, Paros, Naxos, and Mykonos.
- Golden Star Ferries: Heraklion to Santorini, Ios, Naxos, Paros, Tinos, Mykonos, Andros, and Rafina .
FerryHopper.com has the most up-to-date schedule and route information, and is the easiest way to find ferries and book tickets in advance.
All ferries use piers I and II on the western part of the port. Cruise ships use the eastern side of pier II, as well as piers IV and V.
Things To Do Near Heraklion Port
- Knossos The largest and best-known ancient Minoan palace complex in Crete. Admission is 15 . Located 5km south of Heraklion; the #2 bus to Knossos departs from the Port bus terminal every 15-20 mins or so. Better yet, get picked up at the port and take a private guided tour.
- Heraklion Archaeological Museum Excellent exhibits about the history of Crete and the Minoan civilazation, with loads of locally-sourced artwork and artifacts. Great to pair with a trip to nearby Knossos . Admission is half-price from November through March. 12-minute walk from the port.
- Koules Fortress Also known as Castello del Molo or Rocca a Mare, this impressive Venetian citadel was constructed in the Sea of Crete to protect the Heraklion harbor. 2 will get you admission to explore the fort, but bring water and sunscreen its a 2.2km unshaded walk across the rampart to get there. 14-minute walk from port to fort.
- Odos 1866 Open-Air Market Fruits & vegetables, herbs & spices, Cretan souvenirs, clothing, you name it. Open 8am-2pm Monday to Saturday. 18-minute walk from the port.
- Natural History Museum of Crete Fun exhibits about current and past animal life and geography in Crete, featuring stuffed animals, anamatronic dinosaurs, some live animal displays , and a cool earthquake simulator. 20-minute walk from the port.
Don’t Miss: Which Cruise Lines Go Through The Panama Canal
Things To Do In Herklion/crete
the Venetian sea fort is within walking distance of the port
Koules Fortress, an old Venetian sea fort is within walking distance of the port and can be toured for a small fee. The fortress sits at the land end of a seawall. Its free to walk past the fort and out to the lighthouse at the far end of the seawall.
Heraklions main tourist attraction is the ruins at Knossos
You can get to the the areas main attraction the ruins of the Minoan Palace of Knossos by public bus, hop on hop off bus, or taxi. Its about 20 minutes by bus from the port. Taxis and the hop on hop off bus pick up at the cruise terminal. The public bus stop is not far. Hop on hop off busses run about every 45 minutes. Theres 9 stops and the whole route would take about 45 minutes if you never got off the bus. Knossos is the second to last stop when starting from the port.
old building by the waterfront
Herkalion has beaches, museums, a mix of old and new architecture, Phaestos Minoan Palace, Cretaquarium , a market, local cuisine, and boat trips. There are also caves and other villages in the region. If you walk around a bit you might come across old buildings or random ruins that arent listed on the tourist maps.
random ruins alongside modern buildings
Copyright My Cruise Stories 2020
Popular Things To Do In Crete
Food and Drink in Crete
Restaurants and taverns are plentiful in Iraklion, but if you’re eating on the run you’ll find the city’s version of fast food to be some of the best in the world. Dozens of corner bakeries sell flaky pastries with spinach, ham or cheese inside, and a gyro stuffed with juicy pork and tomatoes then slathered with garlicky yogurt sauce makes an excellent portable snack.
Best Local Eats: Ippocampus is just a short walk from the harbor and offers appetizer-sized portions of tradition Cretan dishes such as calamari or fried zucchini slices. The restaurant is popular with both locals and tourists so the wait can be long, but the food is worth it.
Best for an Upscale Treat: Kyriakos is consistently touted as serving some of the finest cuisine in town. Snails are a house specialty, but for those with less adventurous appetites the lamb stew is excellent as well.
Best for Families: Pantheon is one of several restaurants located on the picturesque street commonly known as “dirty alley.” Don’t let the colorful nickname frighten you, though, because the restaurants lining this narrow street offer homestyle cooking along with a wonderful view of the hustle and bustle of the nearby outdoor markets. Since Pantheon sits right on the corner its views are the best, and its seafood, stews and vegetable dishes are all simple but tasty.
Best Cocktail in Crete
Beaches in Crete
Don’t Miss in Crete
Read Also: What Is The Best Cruise In The World
Heraklion Port To Chania And Rethymnon
- Its easy to get from Heraklion port to Chania or Rethymnon by bus. Bus Station A is located an easy 8-minute walk from the ferry port and serves the green intercity buses that travel along Cretes northern coast. Buses heading west to Chania and Rethymnon depart hourly. The trip from Heraklion to Rethymnon by bus will take two hours and cost about 12; the bus from Heraklion to Chania takes three and a half hours and costs about 15. KTEL regional bus website
- Taxi or car service will take an hour and a half and cost about 95 to Rethymnon; a bit over two hours and 160 to Chania.
How Do I Get From Souda Port To Chania
Souda Port to Chania Buses depart from right outside the port terminal building; little more than 100m walk from the cruise ship. When a ship is in port, buses depart every 5 minutes or so. Tickets are purchased from a small kiosk next to the bus stop and cost 1.50 Euros one-way / 3.00 Euros return.
Recommended Reading: How Much Are 7 Day Cruises
Do Greek Ferries Use E
- Certain Greek ferry companies, such as Golden Star Ferries and Aegean Speed Lines, now offer electronic tickets, eliminating the need to collect physical tickets at the port. After booking tickets on FerryHopper.com, a confirmation email with links to web check-in will be sent. After checking in online on the day of your departure, you are able to download your boarding pass to print on your own or keep in your phone/tablet to present at departure.
Where Can I Shop In Rhodes Greece
The old town of is full of shopping opportunities. Every alleyway and corner you turn there are shops offering all sorts of souvenirs.
Plenty of opportunities for shopping
But it is not just the Old Town that attracts visitors shoppers. The New Town, located across from the Mandraki Harbor contains a large marketplace. The Nea Agora, or New Market as it is called, contains a food court, gift shops, cafes and bars.
Nea Agora in the New Town
If you walk further into the New Town there are many hotels, high street style shops and a casino is also available for those who want to try their luck at games of chance.
The walk back from the new town to the ship took about 30 minutes, it is a lovely walk past the harbour.
Walking back to the Ship from the New Town
You May Like: What Cruise Lines Go To Alaska
Cruise Port Guide Iraklion Crete Greece: Docked
Your cruise ship will dock at the port of Heraklion. The cruise pier will most likely not be in front of the cruise terminal. Since it is prohibited to walk in the port area you will need to take a free shuttle bus to take you to the cruise terminal. The cruise terminal is equipped with several souvenir shops and free wi-fi. You will also find taxis and the hop on hop off bus in front of the cruise terminal. Distance from the cruise terminal to the city centre is approximately 1600 meter / 15 minute easy walk. You can simply follow the yellow line on the ground that will lead you to the city centre. A taxi to the city centre costs 5 euro.
Where Can I Drink In Rhodes Greece
There are bars everywhere and within minutes from the ship. We stopped at a bar near the entrance to the old town as Paul is partial to a cold pint of Mythos. However do be aware that one of the gimmicks of Rhodes Greece is drinking your beer out of a boot, and it can come at a hefty price. Be very careful, as you may end up with a huge boot full of 2 litres of beer which will cost 20 euros. We asked for 3 pints of Mythos but were told that they dont have any pint glasses so we settled for a litre boot which we shared between 3. The litre boot cost 9 euros and we were given 3 small glasses, which was fine until we noticed the waiter serving the next table gave them pint glasses! Dont let this put you off, but just be aware of the potential scams to get extra money from tourists.
Pauls Dad John enjoying local beer in a boot!
Also Check: Where To Cruise In Alaska
Where Do Cruise Ships Dock In Crete
- Dapatkan link
Ferries and large cruise ships to Chania dock at Port Souda – approx 4 km 25 mi to the southeast from Chania. The city of Heraklion provides shuttles to the passenger terminal a 5 minute trip from there on it is a pleasant 15-minute walk along the seafront to the old town where all the main sights are concentrated.
Iraklion Greece Cruise Ship Schedule 2021 Crew Center
Heraklion Port To The Airport
- Blue local buses to the Heraklion Airport operate out of Bus Station A, located an easy 8-minute walk from the ferry port. Multiple local bus lines traveling east stop at the airport, with buses departing every 10 minutes or so. the trip between the port and the airport takes about 20 minutes and costs 2 per person . Buses operate from 6am to midnight. KTEL local bus website
- A taxi between Heraklion port and the Heraklion airport will take about 10-15 minutes and cost around 15. The taxi stand is located inside of the port gates, across from the passenger terminal. Taxis are usually readily available after the arrival of a ferry. Taxis in Greece can only accommodate up to four passengers. If you have more than four people in your party, youll need to take more than one taxi.
- Welcome Pickups car service is a great pre-planned alternative to a taxi. Drivers operate 24 hours a day, speak English, and monitor the ferry schedules in case of delays. Child car seats can be pre-ordered in advance of your trip, and larger vehicles are available for parties greater than four people. The trip takes about 10 minutes and costs 16 . When you arrive at the port or airport, your driver will be waiting, holding a sign with your name.
Don’t Miss: What Drinks Are Free On Celebrity Cruises
Culture & History Of Chania Cruise Port
Crete has changed hands many times over thousands of years, between the Minoans, Romans, Ottoman Turks, and, eventually, Nazi occupation during World War II. Crete was also one of the first Mediterranean towns during the Roman Empire to embrace Christianity as a widespread religious movement. Still, the island of Crete has persevered despite all sorts of hardship. Today, the town of Chania is the capital of Crete and has a population of over 150,000 people. The picturesque and preserved Old Town and the citys modern spirit make it an unforgettable travel destination for all who visit.
Chania Port Facilities & Location
Because the Port of Souda is the next town over from Chania, its not recommended that you walk to Chania from where your ship docks. The port is minimally equipped, but you can hop on a bus or taxi from there to get to all the main city sights.