Civil War And Reconstruction Era
Irreconcilable sectional conflict regarding of and ultimately led to the . With the of , conventions in thirteen slave states declared secession and formed the , while the federal government ” rel=”nofollow”> Union”) maintained that secession was illegal. In order to bring about this secession, military action was initiated by the secessionists, and the Union responded in kind. The ensuing war would become the deadliest military conflict in American history, resulting in the deaths of approximately 618,000 soldiers as well as many civilians. The Union initially simply fought to keep the country united. Nevertheless, as casualties mounted after 1863 and Lincoln delivered his , the main purpose of the war from the Union’s viewpoint became the abolition of slavery. Indeed, when the Union ultimately won the war in April 1865, each of the states in the defeated South was required to ratify the , which prohibited slavery except as . Two other amendments were also ratified, ensuring citizenship for blacks and, at least in theory, voting rights for them as well.
Southern white Democrats, calling themselves “”, took control of the South after the end of Reconstruction, beginning the . From 1890 to 1910, the Redeemers established so-called , most blacks and some poor whites throughout the region. Blacks would face nationwide, especially in the South. They also occasionally experienced vigilante violence, including .
Norwegian Cruise Line Cancels Wave Of Sailings
Just when it seemed safe to book a cruise without worrying about cancellations, Norwegian Cruise Line has announced the cancellations of sailings onboard eight cruise ships, including some as far out as April 23, 2022. At the same time, the line is bringing Norwegian Pearl back to port after only two days.
Norwegian PearlNorwegian Pearl, which departed Miami on January 3 for an 11-day Panama Canal cruise is expected to arrive back to port today. A letter sent to passengers onboard indicated that several instances of COVID-19 positive cases were identified among the crew.
Guests will receive a full refund, as well as access to several re-booking bonuses including an FCC valued at 100% of the cruise fare paid that can be used for any voyage through May 31, 2023.
The ships next sailing on January 14 is scheduled to depart as normal.
Norwegian GetawayPassengers scheduled to depart today on Norwegian Getaway awoke to the disappointing news that their cruise has been canceled due to COVID-related circumstances.
The ship had been scheduled to sail a nine-day Caribbean itinerary that included stops in Curacao, Aruba, and the Dominican Republic. Both Curacao and Aruba previously refused Royal Caribbean and Carnival ships entry in December when a tiny percentage of crew and passengers tested positive for COVID-19.
Passengers will receive a full refund.
The ships next sailing on January 14 is scheduled to depart as normal.
Private Cruise Island Enhancements
NCL Norwegian expanded the company’s plans for its Bahamian privately-owned island Great Stirrup Cay and the exclusive luxury resort destination Harvest Caye . Harvest Caye port features a large-sized swimming pool, private beach, shallow lagoon , private cabanas available for rent, as well as a huge flora and fauna diversity.
Great Stirrup Cay was last enhanced in 2014 and by 2017 spring features several new offerings and amenities .
Read Also: Best Cruise Ship Food
Before You Travel: Prior To Leaving Home
Before You Travel: Prior to Leaving Home
- All guests must fully complete online check-in and select a port arrival time, which will become available as soon as 21 days and up to 3 days before the cruise embarkation date.
- Due to limited capacity in the terminals, port arrival times selected during online check in will be strictly enforced.
- Luggage tags must be attached to each piece of luggage when arriving at the port to expedite the baggage drop-off process.
Passengers Stuck At Sea After Norwegian Cancels Caribbean Cruise Mid Voyage Due To Covid
Norwegian Cruise Line canceled its Caribbean trip mid voyage due to Covid-19, leaving travelers stuck at sea until the ship returns to New York.
The Norwegian Gem was on a 10-day sail but it was canceled and the ship docked in Philipsburg, St. Martin.
As we continue to navigate the fluid public health environment, while focusing on delivering a safe experience for all on board, we made the difficult decision to cancel Norwegian Gems current Caribbean sailing, due to Covid-related circumstances,” a spokesperson for Norwegian Cruise said.
It’s not clear what exactly led to the cancellation. The spokesperson said the ship would return to New York “shortly” but did not provide a date.
Aimee Focaraccio told USA Today that she boarded the ship on Sunday for her birthday cruise. But what was supposed to be a fun celebration has now turned into a “nightmare,” she said.
“I really cant imagine four more sea days back to back without much to do, she said, calling it “extremely unsettling.”
Read Also: Savannah Cruise Ships
Civil War And Reconstruction
American settlers began to establish cotton in north Florida, which required numerous laborers, which they supplied by buying slaves in the domestic market. By 1860, Florida had only 140,424 people, of whom 44% were enslaved. There were fewer than 1,000 free before the American Civil War.
On January 10, 1861, nearly all delegates in the Florida Legislature approved an ordinance of secession, declaring Florida to be “a sovereign and independent nation”an apparent reassertion to the preamble in Florida’s Constitution of 1838, in which Florida agreed with Congress to be a “Free and Independent State.” The ordinance declared Florida’s secession from the , allowing it to become one of the founding members of the .
The Confederacy received little military help from Florida the 15,000 troops it offered were generally sent elsewhere. Instead of troops and manufactured goods, Florida did provide salt and, more importantly, beef to feed the Confederate armies. This was particularly important after 1864, when the Confederacy lost control of the Mississippi River, thereby losing access to Texas beef. The largest engagements in the state were the , on February 20, 1864, and the , on March 6, 1865. Both were Confederate victories. The war ended in 1865.
Norwegian Cruise Line Introduces Norwegian Viva
Norwegian Cruise Line , the innovator in global cruise travel, has unveiled Norwegian Viva, the next ship in its brand-new Prima Class.
Providing guests with elevated experiences including more wide-open spaces, thoughtful and stunning design and exceptional service, Norwegian Viva will begin sailing remarkable Mediterranean itineraries in June 2023.
Home porting in key Southern European port cities including Lisbon, Portugal Venice and Rome , Italy and Athens , Greece.
She will then sail the southern Caribbean for her 2023-2024 winter season offering warm-weather getaways from San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Mirroring the upscale design and structure of her record-breaking sister ship Norwegian Prima, Norwegian Viva, also built by renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri in Marghera, Italy, will debut at 965 feet long, 142 500 gross tons and accommodate 3 219 guests at double occupancy.
Also Check: Bahamas Cruise From Mobile Al
Fluid Situation For Cruises
Norwegian Cruise Line has already recently warned guests of the ongoing situation with possible port cancellations and itinerary modifications. It comes due to new restrictions being implemented by ports to protect against the Omicron variant.
Even though cruising remains safe with very limited numbers of COVID onboard, some cruise ports are not taking any risk, including ports in San Juan, St. Thomas, and at times depending on each ship, the Bahamas and Grand Turk.
Cruising for Norwegian Cruise Line is proving to be difficult right now with todays update following altered itineraries for two ships. Norwegian Escapes January 8 departure from port Canaveral had to cancel two Caribbean ports and Norwegian Gems January 9 sailing from New York also has two cancelled calls. There are likely further adjustments to cruises moving forward, as warned by the cruise line.
Feel free to discuss this topic and all things cruise at our new boards. A place where readers can ask questions, help their fellow cruisers and general cruise discussions on cruise lines and ports.
Norwegian Cruise Line Cancels Cruises On Another Ship
Norwegian Cruise Line cancels cruises on another ship. Today, Norwegian Breakaway was added to the list marking 12 out of 17 ships on pause.
For the third time in 2022, NCL has issued yet another travel advisory today. Yes, Norwegian Cruise Line cancels cruises on another ship. Adding Norwegian Breakaway to the list of cancellations, this pause in operations now impacts 12 out of 17 ships in the fleet.
The first travel advisory came on January 5th, which included cancellations and updates to resumption of service for 8 ships. The ships impacted were Norwegian Pearl, Getaway, Sky, Jade, Star, Sun, Spirit, and Pride of America.
Then, on January 11th, Norwegian Cruise Line added three additional ships to the list. This time, the impacted ships were Norwegian Dawn, Escape, and Joy.
Today, Norwegian Breakaway made the list. Norwegian Breakaway cruises with embarkation dates through and including January 23, 2022 have been cancelled.
The complete list of cancellations is as follows:
If your ship is not on this list, it is still sailing as planned.
Also Check: 14 Port Terminal Boulevard Bayonne Nj
Upon Arrival: At The Cruise Terminal
Upon Arrival at the Cruise Terminal:
Cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022:
- All guests will receive a COVID-19 antigen test upon arrival at the cruise terminal and will wait in the designated area until the results are received.
- To speed up the COVID-19 testing process, we strongly encourage all guests to register with our testing provider prior to their cruise date. Registration information can be found within online check-in.
- Doing this will minimize your boarding wait and get your vacation started sooner!
- For further information on required travel documentation, click here.
Cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022:
- Upon arrival at the cruise terminal, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party, via medically supervised home test or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service , within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port.
- Proof of vaccination must be in the form the physical test or electronic official copy.
To understand the earliest you should test prior to your cruise vacation, see below:
For all cruises:
Why You Should Sail With Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian is known for their Freestyle Cruising because of their laid-back atmosphere with no set dining times. You should consider taking a Norwegian cruise if you…
- Wish to eat where you want, when you want
- Are basically anyone who likes a laid-back atmosphere â Norwegian attracts a broad range of passengers, including couples, families, and seniors
- Are a solo traveler, as Norwegian ships offer single cabins
- Enjoy upscale entertainment including popular Broadway shows
- Are willing to pay a bit extra for an enhanced experience you will find an upcharge on dining and activities more often than on other lines
Also Check: Heathrow Airport To Southampton Cruise Terminal
These S& p 500 Stocks Have Cratered But Analysts Think 12 Can Turn It Around With Rebounds Of Up To 70%
DEEP DIVE A period of high inflation and rising interest rates has taken out shares of companies with rich valuations. Then thereâs the stubborn coronavirus, with variants raising infection rates and causing stocks in travel-related industries to crash after they staged partial recoveries.
Norwegian Cruise Line , the innovator in global cruise travel, today unveiled Norwegian Viva, the next ship in its brand-new Prima Class.
Norwegian Cruise Line closed the most recent trading day at $22, moving +1.34% from the previous trading session.
Education Households Income And Poverty
As of 2010, 80% of people over age 25 were a high school graduate or higher. 27.3% of people in Miami had a bachelor’s degree or higher.
As of 2010, there were 158,317 households, of which 14% were vacant. 22.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 31.3% were married couples living together, 18.1% have a female head of household with no husband present, and 43.1% were non-families. 33.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 3.15.
In 2010, the city population was spread out, with 18.8% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 25.0% from 45 to 64, and 13.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.8 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.1 males.
In 2010, 58.1% of the county’s population was foreign born, with 41.1% being . Of foreign-born residents, 95.4% were born in Latin America, 2.4% were born in Europe, 1.4% born in Asia, 0.5% born in Africa, 0.2% in North America, and 0.1% were born in Oceania.
In 2004, the reported that Miami had the highest proportion of foreign-born residents of any major city worldwide , followed by Toronto .
About 22.2% of families and 27.3% of the population were below the at the census, including 37.1% of those under age 18 and 32.8% of those aged 65 or over.
Also Check: Most Expensive Cruise Suite
Passenger Shipping Pause 2020
Due to the Coronavirus crisis, NCLH’s entire fleet is with an expanded cancellation policy. All bookings on pre-scheduled itineraries were given the option to cancel without penalties.
Eventually, NCLH canceled all NCL cruises leaving between March 14, 2020, and July 2021.
Next are listed all NCL ships and their scheduled first departure dates/homeports in 2021-2022 – BLISS , BREAKAWAY , DAWN , ENCORE , EPIC , ESCAPE , GEM , GETAWAY , JADE , JEWEL , JOY , PEARL , SKY , SPIRIT , STAR , SUN , PRIMA , PRIDE OF AMERICA .
- In late-March 2021, NCL canceled through October-November all voyages scheduled for the ships ENCORE , JEWEL , Sun , BLISS , JADE , JOY , GEM .
- In early-April 2021, NCL announced new schedules for the ships JADE , JOY and GEM . Previously the boats were planned to restart as follows – JOY , GEM , JADE . JOY’s ex-Greece program was canceled in May. GEM’s ex-Dominicana program was canceled in June.
- In late-May 2021 were canceled JOY’s Caribbean roundtrips from Montego Bay Jamaica and BLISS’ Alaskan program from Seattle .
- In late-June were delayed the restarts of 5 ships . These cancellations affected DAWN’s Mediterranean schedule and STAR’s Europe-Iceland-UK .
South America Cruise Protocols
- For guests that are boarding our ship immediately upon arrival in Argentina: At the time of check-in, guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test result administered by a verified third party within three days prior to sail date. As you are embarking the ship on Sunday, the test must be taken no earlier than Thursday.
- For guests that live in Argentina or who are staying in Argentina in a hotel prior to boarding our ship: At the time of check-in, guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test results administered by a verified third party within 2 days prior to sail date. As you are embarking the ship on Sunday, the test must be taken no earlier than Friday.
- Argentina: All guests must complete a sworn affidavit for arrival to and departure from all ports in Argentina. The form can be found here:
- Uruguay: All guests must complete an online Health Declaration form prior to entering all ports in Uruguay. The form can be found here:
- Chile: All guests must complete a sworn affidavit and mobility pass form. The sworn affidavit can be found here: www.c19.cl and the mobility pass form can be found here:
- All of the above can be completed up to 15 days prior to arrival in each port.
Don’t Miss: Is It Safe To Go On A Cruise
Horst & Graben Wealth Management Llc Buys Schwab Us
Investment company Horst & Graben Wealth Management LLC buys Schwab U.S. Tips ETF, iShares Core Total USD Bond Market ETF, SPDR Portfolio S& P 500 ETF, BTC iShares MSCI USA Min Vol Factor ETF, iShares 10-20 Year Treasury Bond ETF, sells iShares MBS ETF, iShares ESG 1-5 Year USD Corporate Bond ETF, Boeing Co, Wells Fargo, iShares 10 Year Investment Grade Corporate Bond ET during the 3-months ended 2021Q4, according to the most recent filings of the investment company, Horst & G
Investment company CRA Financial Services, LLC buys South Jersey Industries Inc, Innovator U.S.
Norwegian Cruise Line closed the most recent trading day at $22.96, moving -0.65% from the previous trading session.
The cruise lines have canceled select sailings but Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Line shareholders should take that as a positive.