Feluccas: The Adventure Travel Alternative
Feluccas are the traditional single lateen-sail boats of the Nile. This is a Nile cruise for the more adventurous. What you lose in facilities, you gain in scenery, tranquil star-filled nights, more time spent on the river, and a close-up experience of river life.
Feluccas generally take up to eight passengers and have a two- to three-person crew that do the sailing and cooking during the trip.
There are generally no bathroom facilities onboard. Passengers don’t expect to shower until they have disembarked, and the felucca anchors at a Nile island or bank when passengers ask for a toilet break.
Passengers sleep on the cushioned deck at night. It’s a good idea to bring a sleeping bag although feluccas usually provide plenty of blankets if needed.
Meals are simple but tasty Egyptian home-style cooking, often kept vegetarian due to the only refrigeration being the onboard icebox.
Time spent on a felucca is life reduced to the basics, so don’t expect Wi-Fi onboard or electricity. At night, the felucca is lit by candle lanterns, while daytime cruising activity is basically lazing about on deck admiring the scenery, or reading, with plenty of time for swim stops as well.
Guided tours and monument fees are not included in a felucca cruise price. Felucca cruises are priced in the budget price-point, and the cost usually covers the felucca transport, meals, and copious cups of tea.
Unlike Nile cruisers and dahabiyas, felucca cruises are often arranged and booked on-site in Aswan.
Nile River Cruise Highlights
- Learn the secrets of the ancient world from Egyptologists and fall in love with the rich history.
- Let the flowing waters carry you down the river, observing desert villages and crumbling temples from days long ago.
- Float from Cairo to Aswan in the river where no mainstream liners are found, the tranquil waters call for a ride on a luxury felucca or traditional dahabiya.
- Cruising is the ideal way to explore the Nile with views only accessible by boat.
- Luxor: With a mysterious ambiance that is amplified by the historic temples, statues that guard the entrance and huge pillars that loom overhead as you walk in the footsteps of King Tut.
- Valley of the Kings: You cant help but feel like Indiana Jones in this royal burial site. Home to the great names of Egyptian history and their elaborate preparations for the next world.
Day Cairo Alexandria & The Nile
On this 10-day tour of Egypt, enjoy the sites by land and sea. Begin in Cairo to visit the pyramids and the Sphinx. Then, fly to Luxor for some sightseeing, before boarding a multiday cruise along the Nile, with stops in Edfu and Aswan. Then, fly back to Cairo and take a day trip to Alexandria to discover the catacombs, citadel and library. Highlights Tour the famous, ancient pyramids and the Sphinx in Giza. Enjoy a cruise along the Nile River. Tour Valley of the Kings, Temple of Hatshepsut, and more in Luxor. Take a day trip to Alexandria to tour the catacombs, citadel, and library.
You May Like: Cruises Leaving Baltimore Md
What Is Included In A Nile Cruise
Most Nile cruises include airport or hotel transfers, as well as return flights or train tickets if you are starting your voyage in Luxor or Aswan. Full board, entertainment, and afternoon tea are usually included, and the luxury Nile cruise boats also have swimming pools on deck.
Although many Nile cruises include entrance tickets to monuments, others do not, so make sure you check the details before departing. An English-speaking Egyptologist guide will accompany you throughout the cruise.
Guided tours at these sights are included on multi-day Nile cruises.
What Is The Currency And Exchange Rate In Egypt
The national currency is the Egyptian pound which is known as “Guineh in Arabic“. There is a countless number of ATMs located all across Egypt in the main cities, towns plus certain shops and hotels. Money exchange services can be easily found available in banks and certain bureau or you can also use money change services on the web.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Month To Cruise Alaska
How To Plan A Tour Of Egypt With A Nile Cruise And A Visit To Cairo
For the ultimate holiday in Egypt combine a few days of sightseeing in Cairo with a multi-day Nile Cruise.
Day 1 Arrive in Cairo and check in to your hotel.
Day 2 Enjoy a full-day private tour to Giza, Saqqara, and Memphis with an Egyptologist guide. Visit the Great Pyramids and the Sphinx, before heading to Saqqara to see Egypts oldest pyramid. Continue to Memphis to explore the UNESCO-listed ruins of this ancient capital.
Day 3 Spend the morning discovering the treasures of the Egyptian Museum, then in the afternoon sail down the Nile in the footsteps of Cleopatra on board a traditional Felucca. Enjoy the sunset over Cairo.
Day 4 Visit the landmarks of Coptic and Islamic Cairo on a full-day tour. Highlights include the Hanging Church, and Abu Serga, where the Holy family hid when fleeing Israel. Discover the Coptic Museum and the Mosque and Madrasa of Sultan Hassan, renowned for its sweeping city views. Board the overnight train to Aswan.
Day 6 After an early start, you will explore Abu Simbel, home to some of the most historically important temples in the world. This evening you will sail to Kom Ombo.
What’s A Good Itinerary For My First Visit To Egypt
Your first visit to Egypt should concentrate on visiting the must seen sites:
The pyramids at Giza and the Sphinx, the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization in Cairo, Valley of the Kings in Luxor, the temple of Philae in Aswan, booking a Nile cruise from Aswan to Luxor to witness the legendary history and culture of ancient Upper Egypt and mix it with the tropical beauty of Hurghada on the Red Sea coast, with its scuba-diving sites and relaxing resort hotels which is ideal for family holidays.
Don’t Miss: What Cruise Lines Depart From Norfolk Va
What Are The Public Holidays In Egypt And Is It A Good Time To Visit The Country
Egypt has a number of public holidays some of them are national while others are religious. Fridays, Saturdays, and public holidays. All the historical and museums are open daily All the shops are open from 10 am to 10 pm every day except Sunday. In Ramadan, all these times can change. Here is a list of the festivals & public holidays in Egypt:
– The Coptic Christmas is on the 7th of January
– The Birth of the Prophet Mohamed Holiday depends on the Islamic calendar
– The Egyptian Revolution Day is on the 25th of January
– The Easter Holiday differs from one year to the other and usually takes place in the months of April or May
– The Sinai Liberation Day is on the 25th of April
– The Workers Day is on the 1st of May
– The Revolution Day is the 23rd of July
– The first and second days of the Grand Barium depends on the Islamic calendar
– The first and second days of the lesser Barium depends on the Islamic calendar
– The Military Day Holiday is on the 6th of October
– Islamic New Years Eve depends on the Islamic calendar
What Is The Duration Of Nile River Cruise
There are three different Egypt Nile Cruise schedules, either 4 Days Egypt Nile Cruise package from Aswan to Luxor, or 5 Days Egypt Nile Cruise vacation Luxor Aswan or 8 Days Egypt Nile Cruise. Once you contact us, we will let you know the best option that perfectly matches your itinerary and you can share with us your thoughts.
Recommended Reading: What Cruise Lines Depart From New York City
Day Cairo & Nile Cruise
This cultural tour will start in Cairo, where you’ll explore the bustling city and visit the Pyramids of Giza, before embarking on a three-night cruise on the Nile River during which you’ll visit Egypt’s most famous temples including Philae temple. You’ll then set sail on the Nile to Luxor with stops in Kom Ombo and Edfu. In Luxor, you’ll do a tour of this historic city and visit the Karnak Temple, Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut Temple, and others before returning to Cairo to board your departure flight home. Highlights Discover the Great Pyramids of Giza. Visit one of Egypt’s largest surviving temples during a Nile River cruise. Sail along the Nile River to Luxor. Walk through the Valley of the Kings.
How To Score A Cheap Nile Cruise
So how do you cut out the middleman?
Well first of all, you need to be in Egypt to make sure you are booking direct.
This does mean leaving your cruise slightly to the last minute, which may prove difficult if you have a jam-packed, tight or well-planned itinerary.
However if you are even slightly flexible, its generally possible to find a cheap Nile cruise just a few days ahead of time.
With this in mind, its also worth considering the season in which youre travelling to Egypt.
It goes without saying that travelling in shoulder or low season is going to make it a lot easier for you to score a cheap Nile cruise.
So, if youre yet to book your trip to Egypt at all, Id definitely recommend avoiding the peak season of Nov-Feb and heading there during the shoulder season of Sept-Nov and Feb-April instead.
I visited Egypt in March and it was perfect, with delightful weather and much fewer crowds than Im told are there in the high tourist season.
The second thing you need to bear in mind when trying to score a cheap Nile cruise is that the ships only run on certain days.
What I mean by this, is that there arent cruises ferrying up to Aswan or down to Luxor every day of the week.
Normally there are departures 2/3 times a week, but again its worth being a bit flexible with your dates when trying to score a cheap deal.
Recommended Reading: What Cruise Lines Go Out Of Mobile Al
Health And Safety Onboard Egypt Nile Cruises:
- All Nile cruises are equipped with safety features and life jackets are normally placed under your cabin bed.
- You should avoid drinking large amounts of alcohol especially if you have equilibrium problems. You are not just putting yourself at risk but also the other guests and staff too.
- People with equilibrium problems should not spend too much time on deck at night, on a fast moving ship it is dangerous in case you fall over.
- Smoking in bed is dangerous the mattresses are very flammable
- People who tend to sleepwalk should never take a cabin with a balcony, an inside cabin with a window would be far safer.
- Make sure that you know where the muster stations are, in case you have to abandon ship.
- If you get sick whilst on board, some cruise boats have a resident doctor on board. If not, they have doctors assigned in each town that can be called on in case of emergency.
Dahabiyas: A More Intimate And Personalized Nile Cruise
The most exclusive way to cruise the Nile is on a dahabiya. These sailing boats brim with character and hark back to the early days of Nile tourism, before steamboats began plying the river all the famous 19th-century Nile tourists, including Gustave Flaubert and Florence Nightingale made their journeys on dahabiyas.
The boats generally only take between 10 and 20 passengers.
What you lose in facilities , you make up for with personal service, itinerary flexibility, and a lack of crowds.
If you are looking for a more intimate Nile cruise experience but still want the comfort of a cabin, dahabiyas are an excellent alternative to the big Nile cruisers.
Instead of docking for the night amid a crowded Nile cruiser dock, dahabiyas usually anchor at Nile islands for the night, so passengers can have a taster of the Nile at its most tranquil.
Note that there is much less choice of boats and sailings than with Nile cruisers, so it’s best to organize and book as far in advance as you can.
Due to the small size of dahabiyas, if you are traveling in a group, you can also book a completely private dahabiya cruise.
As with Nile cruisers, all meals are included in the cruise price, but the inclusion of guided tours and entry fees to tourist attractions depends on the individual cruise operator. Always check and compare schedules and inclusions.
Don’t Miss: Jobs On Cruise
Why You Must Experience A Luxury Nile Cruise On Your Egypt Holiday
Traveling along the highways between Luxor and Aswan can be stressful, given the traffic and the chaotic condition of the roads. A 3-hour trip might very well end up taking 5 hours. A luxury cruise allows you to avoid the busy streets and enjoy a world-class sailing experience. Traditionally, a cruise along the Nile was the only way to see some of Egypts most famous temples. Even though there are other ways to travel between Luxor and Aswan now, a Nile Cruise is highly preferred by travelers.
You will get the opportunity to see and do much more when you opt for a luxury Nile Cruise. The Nile Valley still maintains its timeless beauty from ancient times. As you glide along the river, you can watch the desert, fertile lands and villages go by slowly. You can spot local fishermen hauling their catch and farmers herding their cattle. People who travel by land mostly focus on Luxor and then head straight to Aswan. When on a Nile Cruise, you can add Edfu and Kom Ombo to your itinerary, getting a chance to see more of ancient Egypt, including the Edfu Temple, Kom Ombo Temple, and the Crocodile Mummification Museum.
A cruise is also a fantastic way for you to travel with a highly qualified Egyptologist who will never run out of interesting facts to share with you. When you feel like getting some quiet time by yourself, you can rest on the sundeck on board the ship under an open sky, and enjoy the vistas while sipping your tea or cocktails.
Where Can I Get Tourist Information
To get the correct tourist information, every traveler should head to the Local information offices to provide information, brochures, and advice to tourists. On the Egypt Tours Portal website every traveler can get much helpful and important information through our blog about traveling to and across Egypt.
Also Check: What Cruise Ships Sail Out Of Mobile Alabama
What Is The Best Way To Travel Long Distances
– Flying is the fastest way to get to the main tourist cities of Egypt.
– The national carrier, Egypt Air, has a very efficient and reliable domestic flights network, that links most of the tourist cities in Egypt.
– Inter-city buses and trains are cheaper.
– You can travel by train to visit Middle Egypt in southern Cairo.
– An excellent Turbo train service is easily found between Cairo and among main cities. But for Long-distance trips to Upper Egypt in Luxor and Aswan, a sleeping train is the most recommended.
– There is also an extensive network of long-distance air-conditioned coaches.
Day Cairo & Cruise 7 Night
This journey is the ideal way to see Egypt. Not only can you enjoy the wonderful ancient sites along the Nile, from Luxor to Aswan but also Visit famous Pyramids of Giza, feel an authentic spirit of old Cairo ! Be sure, it will be one of the most exciting Egypt tours, youve ever made! Highlights Discover Egypt on a special holiday departure, including seven-night Nile cruise. Ride Like a Local on camel back and sail the Nile in a felucca . Gain entry the tomb of the boy king, Tutankhamun in the Valley of the Kings. Discover the archaeological icons of ancient Egypt, with your own private and expert local guides. Design your Day on Day 7.
You May Like: Single Cabin Cruise
What Are Egypt’s Visa Requirements
If you want to apply for a Visa On Arrival that lasts for 30 days then you should be one of the eligible countries, have a valid passport with at least 6 months remaining and pay 25$ USD in cash, as for the E-Visa for 30 day you should have a valid passport for at least 8 months, complete the online application, pay the e-visa fee then print the e-visa to later be presented to the airport border guard. You could also be one of the lucky ones who can obtain a free visa for 90 days. Read more about Egypt travel visa.
What Should I Do On My Second Visit
Explore Egypt rare sites located off the broken path such as:
– The Mediterranean coast, to Alexandria with its museum and library, it’s Greek and Roman ruins, Fort Qaitbey – site of the ancient lighthouse of Alexandria – and nearby, the seaside resorts of MarsaMatruoh and Ras el-Hekma.
– The oases and the White Desert in Egypt such as Siwa, starting from MarsaMatruoh or Cairo, Bahariya, Farafra, Dakhla, and Al-Kharga.
– Fayoum and Lake Qarun to the south of Cairo.
– In Upper Egypt, Board a felucca to discover Aswan, the museum and Nubian villages, the Aga Khan mausoleum, and cruise across Lake Nasser to Abu Simbel.
– Visit the museums of Egypt such as the Archaeological Museum in Cairo, the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization, the Mummification Museum in Luxor, and so on.
If you are a repeat visitor to Egypt, then Egypt Tours Portal customized special tours for anyone who visited Egypt before. You can check out of ordinary Egypt tours and choose the best suitable Egypt tour.
Also Check: What Cruise Lines Depart From Norfolk Va