Norwegian Cruise Line Names New Ship Prima Sending It To Port Canaveral
Norwegian Cruise Line is feeling a little Italian. The line is naming the first of six planned ships in a new class Norwegian Prima, and its going to send it to Port Canaveral.
Currently under construction at the Fincantieri shipyard in Italy, the first of what the line has been calling Project Leonardo, and now the Prima class of ships, will debut in 2022, the first new class of ships for the line in 10 years.
Some details about the ships were revealed in 2017, notably their size being dialed back from the 165,300-ton Breakaway Plus class ships like Norwegian Escape. Norwegian Prima and its sister ships will be 140,000-ton, 3,300-passenger vessels.
Not all destinations in the world can handle 4,000-, 5,000-passenger ships effectively. Del Rio said in 2017. So we believe these vessels are the perfect size to deliver the top return on investment for our shareholders while providing the flexibility we need as a company to deploy these vessels throughout the world.
Today, Norwegian announced Primas first year of destinations, including a debut in summer 2022 to sail in Northern Europe and the United Kingdom followed by short sailings from New York, Galveston, Miami and finally homeporting from Port Canaveral beginning Dec. 11, 2022.
When it debuts, the line will have grown to 23 ships in the fleet.
Ncls Newest Ship Norwegian Prima To Set Sail Summer 2022
NCL’s newest ship, Norwegian Prima
Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Cruise Line will begin taking bookings today for its newest ship, Norwegian Prima, the first ship in its new Prima Class. This exciting next-generation ship is NCLs first major redesign in nearly ten years. Prima, which means first in Italian, is scheduled toset sail in summer 2022.
In an ambitious six-ship rollout, five additional ships in the same class are planned for launch, one each successive year through 2027. NCL just released details describing some of the enhancements guests can expect in terms of ship design, service and itineraries.
Ncl Cruise Ship Lifeguards
In April 2017, NCL Norwegian Cruise Line announced the company will employ certified lifeguards on some of its vessels and fleetwide . The news made NCL, the 3rd major cruise company with lifeguards onboard its ships – following Disney and Royal Caribbean.
- The onboard lifeguards are stationed only at the family pools during scheduled swimming pool hours. This staff will be “American Red Cross” trained and certified.
- NCL will also offer complimentary swim vests for both adults and kids. Parents can obtain safety vests at the Lido Deck’s towel station during daytime hours.
- The first NCL ships with lifeguards will be Norwegian Epic , Norwegian Escape , Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway .
- NCL started testing monitoring through CCTV cameras at family pools since 2015. So adding full-time lifeguards was a decision for more safety on pool decks. However, it should be known that lifeguards don’t replace parental supervision and that parents remain the best form for preventing onboard accidents.
- Disney Cruise Line employs certified lifeguards since 2013. RCI Royal Caribbean employs cruise ship lifeguards since February 2017 . RCI’s onboard lifeguards are dressed in special uniforms and stationed at every onboard swimming pool, including the Solarium during the complex’ opening hours.
Don’t Miss: Best Jamaica Cruise
Private Cruise Island Enhancements
NCL Norwegian expanded the company’s plans for its Bahamian privately-owned island Great Stirrup Cay and the exclusive luxury resort destination Harvest Caye . Harvest Caye port features a large-sized swimming pool, private beach, shallow lagoon , private cabanas available for rent, as well as a huge flora and fauna diversity.
Great Stirrup Cay was last enhanced in 2014 and by 2017 spring features several new offerings and amenities .
Norwegian Epic From Barcelona
Norwegian Epic became the fourth ship in the fleet to resume cruise operations and the second in Europe. The ship resumed out of Barcelona, Spain on September 5, 2021, and the first voyage was a seven-night itinerary in the Mediterranean with vitis to Livorno, Italy Civitavecchia, Italy Naples, Italy Cagliari, Sardinia, and Palma De Mallorca Spain.
The NCL cruise ship will continue sailing cruises in the region through October 24, 2021. Norwegian Epic was refurbished at the end of 2020 so guests are enjoying for the first time, 75 reimagined and upgraded suites along with The Haven Restaurant and The Haven Courtyard Pool and Sundeck.
- Resumed Cruises: September 5, 2021
- Homeport: Barcelona, Spain
- First Cruise Back: 7-Day Cruise
Don’t Miss: Cape Liberty Parking Royal Caribbean
Ncl Cruise Ship Weddings
Since 2016, Norwegian Cruise Line offers weddings at sea, including same-gender ceremonies. The weddings are performed by the ship’s Captain.
- For now, these offers are only for the company’s newest vessels of the Breakaway- and Breakaway-plus classes.
- Formerly, couples were not allowed to marry at sea, but only ashore . They also had to produce a marriage certificate before participating in an onboard ceremony. By the NCL’s new policy, cruise ship captains can perform the wedding ceremonies on the ship, with a Bahamas-issued marriage license.
- NCL also offers absolutely legal same-gender ceremonies. However, these offers are only available in cruise port destinations where such marriages are recognized by local law. The list of such destinations in the USA includes Hawaii, Boston MA, NYC New York, Los Angeles CA, Seattle WA, Florida , also Vancouver BC .
- NCL’s new package “Wedding at Sea” includes a bridal bouquet, 1 matching boutonniere, 1 wedding cake for 2, champagne toast. The company also provides an experienced wedding coordinator.
- In addition to the “Wedding at Sea” program, Norwegian Cruise Line also offers harborside ceremonies , also destination weddings and vow renewals.
The Big Day: Boarding Norwegian Cruise Lines Gem
Before the couple knew it, it was embarkation day. They excitedly drove to the pier with all of their required documentation.
We werent sure what to expect, but we were really looking forward to boarding our first cruise ever. When we arrived at the pier, we stood in line and were required to show our birth certificates, photo IDs, vaccine cards, and Bermuda travel authorizations. Then the crew instructed us to go to the lab
- News from source How will people travel in 2022? Where do people want to go this year? ADV3 hours ago 15 min read
- News from source Hi there. Its Monday, January 3 and youre reading The Loop,11 hours ago
- News from source It is so interesting how your likes change over time. The first time I to11 hours ago 5 min read
- News from source Exclusive for Mail on Sunday readers: Watch Anton Du Beke and Erin Boag d1 day ago
- News from source Working from a cruise ship is possible but its not without its p6 days ago
- News from source The unveiling of Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady, originally set to take pla7 days ago
You May Like: Cruises That Leave From Bayonne Nj
Cruise Ship Disembarks In New Orleans With At Least 17 Covid Cases Including A Probable Omicron Infection
New Orleans A Norwegian Cruise Line ship with at least 17 passengers and crew members infected with COVID-19 docked Sunday in New Orleans, where health officials said the ship was disembarked amid efforts to prevent any spread into the community. At least one of the infected crew members is suspected to have the new Omicron variant of the coronavirus, the Louisiana Department of Health said late Sunday. The Norwegian Breakaway arrived in the city on Sunday after departing from New Orleans on November 28 and making stops in Belize, Honduras and Mexico over the past week. Norwegian Cruise Line issued a statement on Saturday confirming a “handful of COVID-19 cases among guests and crew.” The company said all of the identified cases involved people without symptoms of the illness. On Monday, a spokesperson for the company said in a statement a South African crew member suspected of having the Omicron variant was in isolation for the entirety of the November 28 cruise.
UPDATE: 7 additional COVID-19 cases have been identified on a ship that disembarked in New Orleans today. This brings the total number of #COVID19 cases identified among the passengers and crew members to 17.
Louisiana Department of Health
The state recorded its first confirmed Omicron case on Sunday, the health department said, but that was unrelated to the Norwegian cruise liner.
Initial Public Offering And Reorganisation
Following an initial public offering and corporate reorganisation in 2013, Norwegian was made a wholly owned subsidiary of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings , while Norwegian’s previous owners Genting Hong Kong, Apollo Management and TPG Capital exchanged their stakes in Norwegian for shares in the newly listed NCLH.
On 11 March 2014, Norwegian announced that it was cancelling all future port calls in Tunisia following an incident wherein the country forbade Israeli nationals from disembarking.
In December 2016, Norwegian Cruise Line announced it had reached an agreement with the Cuban government. In May 2017, the Norwegian Sky was the first Norwegian Cruise Line vessel to ever visit Cuba. The Norwegian Sky makes weekly trips from Miami to Havana, making Norwegian the only line sailing that route weekly.
On May 2, 2017, Norwegian Cruise Line announced a new PortMiami Terminal. The construction began on May 1, 2018, and is scheduled for completion by fall 2019. Between 2022 and 2025, Fincantieri intends to deliver four ships and in July 2018, the company announced an order for two more Project Leonardo ships. They are expected to enter service in 2026 and 2027. In December 2018, Norwegian revealed plans to build a new pier in Alaska’s Icy Strait Point.
Don’t Miss: Cruises Leaving Norfolk Va
Which Ncl Ships Are Next
Heres when each of the next Norwegian cruise ships will restart operations out of certain homeports. It is important to always check with the cruise line as dates could change due to the fluid situation.
- Norwegian Breakaway from New York: September 26, 2021
- Norwegian Bliss from Los Angeles, California: October 24, 2021
- Norwegian Escape from Port Canaveral, Florida: November 13, 2021
- Norwegian Encore from Miami, Florida: December 12, 2021
- Norwegian Getaway from Miami, Florida: December 22, 2021
- Norwegian Pearl from Miami, Florida: December 23, 2021
Feel free to discuss this topic and all things cruise at our new boards. A place where readers can ask questions, help their fellow cruisers and general cruise discussions on cruise lines and ports.
Ncl Ships By Age Newest To Oldest 2021
Booking a Norwegian Cruise vacation offers so many diverse choices. Choosing the right family cruise ship for your cruise depends on so many factors. Where you intend to sail, whats on your cruise itinerary wish list? Or are you lead by the best cruise deal, or cruise ship? We fit between all brackets depending on the trip, however for us the ship is a huge factor. Thus we thought it a great idea to share all of the NCL Ships By Age, Newest To Oldest and also by how many passengers each NCL ships holds.
Additionally if you are a fan of a more modern cruise ship we have also noted when each NCL ships has been renovated.
What You Will Find On This Page
You May Like: Cruises Leaving From Savannah Ga
Hybrid Dining That Seamlessly Blends Indoors And Outdoors
Indulge Food Hall will offer outdoor deck seating
Norwegian Cruise Line
- NCLs first open-air global food marketplace, Indulge Food Hall, will also located on Deck 8, offering a choice of 11 different cuisines with a mix of indoor and outdoor seating.
- Guests will also be able to dine at three upscale restaurants, each with a mix of indoor and outdoor seating options: Onda By Scarpetta , Los Lobos and The Local Bar and Grill .
Rendering of Onda by Scarpetta
Norwegian Cruise Line
- La Terraza, an open-air lounge, invites relaxation with expansive sea views.
Creation Of Outdoor Living Areas
Rendering of Ocean Boulevard
Norwegian Cruise Line
Although the ship was in the making for some time prior to the pandemic, one striking design element is the innovative use of exterior deck space, which will encourage guests to spend more time outdoors and come closer to the sea. The new class significantly increases the amount of deck space, outdoor walkways and open-air experiences available to guests.
- Ocean Boulevard, a 44,000-square-foot reimagined outdoor living concept located on Deck 8, will allow passengers to walk around the entire perimeter without obstruction. Two Oceanwalk glass bridges will offer a surreal feeling of walking on water.
- The Concourse, an immersive, Instagram-worthy outdoor sculpture garden, will feature six dramatic installations designed by sculptor Alexander Krivosheiw.
Rendering of a Krivosheiw sculpture on The Concourse
Norwegian Cruise Line
- Infinity Beach will offer opportunities to relax at either of two infinity pools located on each side of the ship that are close to the ocean surface.
Read Also: Cruise Prices Per Person
Deployments And Operational Career
For her inaugural season, Norwegian Encore held different preview events in Europe, with a preview cruise from Bremerhaven to Southampton, before her inaugural voyage, an 8-day transatlantic sailing between Southampton and New York. The ship held different preview events in New York and Miami upon her arrival in North America, prior to his christening and debut. Following her debut in Miami, her deployment covered the Eastern Caribbean through the rest of her inaugural season.
Norwegian Encore was scheduled to homeport in New York in summer 2020 to sail to Bermuda, the , and New England, before moving back to Miami in winter 2020 to cruise the Western Caribbean. In spring 2021, she was expected to make her first full Panama Canal transit to be deployed to Seattle for her first summer Alaska season.
However in March 2020, at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, NCL suspended all sailings. After the last passengers had disembarked from Norwegian Encore following this suspension, it was reported that several crew members had become sick and one who had already disembarked was later diagnosed with the coronavirus. By early October 2020, the Norwegian Encore was reported at anchor in Weymouth Bay, off the south coast of England. On 18 October, she arrived at the Port of Southampton, where she docked alongside the City Cruise Terminal.
As of July 2021 Norwegian Encore is docked at the Port of Seattle awaiting the first voyage to Alaska since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Norwegian Cruise Line Made Us Stay Inside Our Cabin For Four Days Is This Legal
Norwegian Cruise Line just forced a triple-vaccinated husband and wife to stay inside their cabin without reprieve for four days. And when the ship finally returned to New York, two burly NCL crew members inexplicably continued to prevent the couples escape. How is this possible? Thats what the bewildered COVID-negative duo wants to know.
Kelly Cotto and her husband had never taken a cruise before last weeks bizarre experience. But after what they endured aboard Norwegian Cruise Lines Gem, they likely never will again.
Elliott Advocacy is underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection
Now, finally released from their involuntary confinement, the Cottos want answers from Norwegian Cruise Line and a refund. The couple is asking us to find out why NCL forced them inside their cabin for nearly the entire cruise.
But with the cruise line staying tight-lipped about NCLs written COVID protocol, that might be a tall order.
You May Like: Disney Cruise Ship Sizes
Ncl Cruise Ship Dining Packages
On each of its ships, NCL offers up to 28 dining options. In 2016 on all ships were introduced upgraded main dining room menus with added new menu items. The upgraded complimentary food menus offer more variety of appetizers, soups, and salads, signature entrees, desserts. New are the seafood offerings .
NCL is noted for its high-quality shipboard foods, restaurants, unique dining concepts, well-trained certified chefs-waiters-sommeliers.
- Almost all the shipboard food is made on the ship and from scratch – including all sauces, bread, pastries, and desserts.
- All ships have full-service butcheries.
- All fish is bought whole and cut and trimmed on the ship.
- Cruise Itinerary-based regional dishes and local beers and wines are always available,
- On NCL Bliss were introduced the restaurants Q and Los Lobos .
Norwegian Cruise Line Ceo On Its Epic New Ship Class Getting Back To Cruising Safely
The Norwegian Prima features a glass-bottom bridge, stunning infinity pools, and more space for passengers.
Norwegian Cruise Line is taking travel on the high seas to the next level with its latest class of ships, featuring a pair of 8-story-high glass bridges over the water and stunning ocean-facing infinity pools.
The focus on outdoor living is apparent throughout the Norwegian Prima, the first of the cruise line’s six new ships in the Prima Class and set to debut in the summer of 2022, Norwegian shared with Travel + Leisure on Wednesday.
“A combination of the space and the beauty of the design together really are apparent… it just hits you,”Norwegian Cruise Line’s President and CEO Harry Sommer told T+L. “It’s not trying to cram as many things as possible into a small space with many flashing lights. It’s a much more refined look.”
The ship, which will be able to carry 3,215 guests, will offer more space per passenger with the company’s largest-ever inside, oceanview, and balcony staterooms and the biggest bathrooms in standard staterooms as well as the largest variety of suite categories. Outside of the room, the ship will feature a full wrap-around deck complete with an open-air marketplace and food hall and an outdoor sculpture garden.
“We think this is going to be a game changer in the contemporary premium space of the industry,” he added.
“It talks to the pent-up demand that people are looking to do more exotic locations,” he said about Greece.
Also Check: Cruise Ship From San Diego To Hawaii